2009-12-09

Sound settings in Ubuntu

After a fresh install of Ubuntu (9.04 and 9.10 at least), the sound in my system would be muted as soon as the user logs in. I don't know whether this has to do specifically with the type of sound card (HDA Intel - SigmaTel STAC9227), or something else in my system. I couldn't figure out how to save the volume settings across machine reboots so that sound would be unmuted when the user logs in.

In the end I set up a script to set volume values with Alsa's amixer, and I have this script executed in the ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh file. I assume the script can be included in ~/.xinitrc as well.

Sample script:

amixer set 'Master',0 100% unmute
amixer set 'PCM',0 100% unmute
amixer set 'Front',0 100% unmute
amixer set 'Surround',0 100% unmute
amixer set 'Center',0 100% unmute
amixer set 'LFE',0 100% unmute
amixer set 'Side',0 100% unmute

No comments:

Post a Comment