2008-08-17

Nice non-antialiased fonts in Linux

Ever since Linux distributions decided to go with antialiased fonts in qt and gtk based applications, I have been looking for a way to go back to the way it used to be (I am talking 1998...). Merely disabling the "antialiased" setting on moden distros produced ugly fonts, unlike the simple, nice Helvetica fonts that 1998-era Linux systems used to have.

However, today I found a site that offers exactly what I wanted: http://www.sharpfonts.com
It describes very easily how to use non-antialiased truetype fonts on a modern Linux distributions.

I ran the described process on a Xubuntu 8.04.1 system. After going through the process described in that site, simply select the Tahoma 8 font with "slight" hinting (for instance) for the desktop font. Works perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment